25 October 2010
We recognise and accept our responsibility to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety of all staff, residents, students, visitors, contractors and members of the public who may be affected by our work activities.
It is our aim to promote, set and maintain the highest standards for health, safety and welfare matters, as required under the provisions of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. This will be achieved by:-
- Providing adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from work activities;
- Consulting with staff on matters affecting health and safety;
- Providing and maintaining safe plant and equipment;
- Maintaining systems of work that are safe and without risk to health;
- Ensuring safety during the handling, use and storage of articles and substances which are inherently or potentially dangerous;
- Providing adequate information, instruction, training and supervision for staff;
- Ensuring all staff are competent to do their work;
- Preventing accidents and cases of work-related ill health as far as possible;
- Maintaining safe and healthy working conditions; and
- Reviewing and revising this policy as necessary at regular intervals.
Southend YMCA will endeavour to eliminate or control any hazard which may result in personal injury, industrial illness, fire, security losses, property damage or harm to the environment. It is important to notify your Team Leader/Line Manager of ANY matters of concern.
The allocation of safety duties and the arrangements to implement this Policy are set out below. Successful implementation shall only be achieved by compliance with legal requirements, dedication and co-operation of all staff and provision of adequate funding and resources by the estate.
This Policy applies to all staff or others under our control and requires the co-operation of all members of staff, residents, students, contractors and visitors.